Skip to Content

Registration Errors

You may encounter errors while attempting to add a course during registration or when you make schedule changes. Below is a list of common error types and the corresponding override code that is needed.

Administration staff is viewing your account

Please take the following actions:

  • Exit out of all browsers
  • Wait 5 minutes for the account to unlock
  • Open only one browsing session after clearing your cache or open one incognito or private browsing window. Multiple registration tabs or additional registration browsing windows may cause the message to display.

Prerequisite or Test Score Error

Review the error(s) to determine which prerequisite is not being satisfied.


  • Register for an alternative course
  • Refer to your Degree Audit for course options within your degree plan
  • Request a prerequisite override
  • If you meet the prerequisite for the course through transfer credit that has not yet posted to your Texas State transcript, you will need to provide proof of completion to the academic department and request the override from that department. Proof of completion could be a printout of your unofficial transcript from the transfer institution (e.g. for a Math course provide proof to the Department of Mathematics and request the override from them).


Department Approval Needed Error

Department Approval may be required for certain courses and sections of courses. If several sections exist for a single course, it is very likely that some of the sections will be designated for special purposes or unique student groups (e.g., University Honors program, Varsity athletes, Round Rock campus, etc.). Other sections of the course are open to everyone else.


  • Register for a different section of the same course
  • Request a Departmental Override from the department. If all sections of the course require departmental approval and you believe you should be taking the course, contact the department (e.g., for a Math course, contact the Department of Mathematics; for an English course, contact the Department of English, etc.).


Cohort Restriction

Cohorts exist for certain programs or groups with the intent that their students take courses together as they progress through their degree plans (e.g., Residential College program, Living Learning Communities, etc.). In most cases, cohort restrictions are placed only on selected sections of courses leaving other sections of the same course available to everyone else.


  • Register for a different section of the same course
  • Ask to join the cohort. Contact the academic department of the course to find out which cohort is listed for the class then explore the University website to find out about that student group and requirements for joining.


Time Conflict

You are attempting to register for a course during a time in which you have already scheduled a class. Review your schedule. While in "Registration & Schedule Changes" you can review by clicking on "View my Schedule" on the left side of the screen near the top. 


  • Select a different section of the course that you wish to add to remove the time conflict.
  • Drop the conflicting course from the current schedule.
  • Select a different section of the original course then proceed with adding the new course as desired
  • If multiple courses are offered but only at conflicting times, consult with your advisor for assistance. 


Instructor Approval Needed

The course you are attempting to register for requires instructor approval prior to registration.


  • Register for a different section of the same course that does not require instructor approval. 
  • Contact the instructor of the course and request to be permitted into the class. You may search the course listing in the "Class Search" function of "Registration & Schedule Changes" for the name of the instructor assigned to the course. You may also find that the instructor's contact information by searching their name using the search tool on the Texas State homepage.


Closed Section

The section of the course you are registering for has no remaining seats available.


  • Select a different section of the same course that has available seats.
  • Register for an alternative course that fits into your degree plan and take the closed class in a different semester.
  • Re-visit the registration site throughout the remainder of the registration period to check the course's seat availability (see the Academic Calendar for a complete list of the registration periods for a semester; look for Registration, Late Registration and Schedule Changes).
  • Contact the academic department that offers the course to inquire about options for submitting closed class requests.


Class Restriction

Student classification is based on the number of credit hours completed. This does not include any hours you are in the process of earning.

Freshman- Completed fewer than 30 credit hours
Sophomore- Completed 30-59 credit hours
Junior- Completed 60-89 credit hours
Senior- Completed 90+ credit hours

The course you are attempting to register for requires a certain classification that you have not met (e.g. most 3000-4000 level courses require at least junior level classification status). 


  • Register for alternative courses in your degree plan by referring to your Degree Audit or consulting your academic advisor.
  • Contact your advisor to investigate if there is an error and you have more credit hours completed than what your classification status reflects.


Major or Minor Restriction

Many departments manage their course enrollment by permitting only those students who have declared a certain major or minor in their department to enroll in their courses. 


  • Refer to your Degree Audit to confirm that you are attempting to register for a course that is required for your degree plan. To confirm your major/minor, look at the top of your degree audit.
  • If the major/minor information listed is not correct, you will need to declare that major/minor during an advising appointment.
  • If your major/minor information at the top of your Degree Audit is correct and the course you are attempting to register for is not required for your degree plan, but you have a particular reason for wanting to take the course, you may contact that academic department to request a major restriction override.


Maximum Hours Exceeded

The registration system will permit undergraduate students in a good academic standing to register for up to 18 credit hours and graduate students to register for up to 15 hours in a long semester (fall or spring).

Per the Undergraduate Catalog, graduating seniors or other students with a Texas State GPA of 3.50 or higher may register for 19 or more credit hours (up to 22 credit hours). If you wish to request an increase in course load hours, you must contact your advising center. 

Per the Graduate Catalog, course loads up to 18 hours require written approval from the Dean of The Graduate College. To request an override, you must take a request to the department advisor for your major. They must submit a written request to the Dean of The Graduate College at least three days before registration.